Home » Android » android – Adb Devices can't find my phone

android – Adb Devices can't find my phone

Posted by: admin March 11, 2020 Leave a comment


I am trying to get adb to see my Samsung Fascinate phone so that I can install my Android apps via usb to the phone. I am using osx 10.6.7.

When I run “adb devices” it does not list my device and “adb usb” says “device not found”.

USB debugging is enabled and I have tried connecting in storage mode as well as media mode. When I am in storage mode I can see the phone’s drive in Finder so I know that the usb connection works, however adb still can’t find it.

I read that for Mac there are no usb drivers, that it’s just supposed to work, but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Any suggestions?

How to&Answers:

I have a Samsung Galaxy and I had the same issue as you. Here’s how to fix it:

In device manager on your Windows PC, even though it might say the USB drivers are installed correctly, there may exist corruption.

I went into device manager and uninstalled SAMSUNG Android USB Composite Device and made sure to check the box ‘delete driver software’. Now the device will have an exclamation mark etc. I right clicked and installed the driver again (refresh copy). This finally made adb acknowledge my phone as an emulator.

As others noted, for Nexus 4, you can also try this fix.


Try doing this:

  • Unplug the device
  • Execute adb kill-server && adb start-server(that restarts adb)
  • Re-plug the device

Also you can try to edit an adb config file .android/adb_usb.ini and add a line 04e8 after the header. Restart adb required for changes to take effect.


I did the following to get my Mac to see the devices again:

  • Run android update adb
  • Run adb kill-server
  • Run adb start-server

At this point, calling adb devices started returning devices again. Now run or debug your project to test it on your device.


I have a ZTE Crescent phone (Orange San Francisco II).

When I connect the phone to the USB a disk shows up in OS X named ‘ZTE_USB_Driver’.

Running adb devices displays no connected devices. But after I eject the ‘ZTE_USB_Driver’ disk from OS X, and run adb devices again the phone shows up as connected.


I just spent half a day trying to connect my various Android devices to my MacBook Pro (running 10.8.2). It turns out to have been a Micro USB cable problem. I have many Micro USB cables, but only the one that came packaged with my Galaxy Nexus works to connect the phones to my computer. I don’t know if this is due to damage, or some proprietary manufacturing, but please remember to try connecting the phone with the cable that was packaged with it.


I have a Fascinate as well, and had to change the phone’s USB communication mode from MODEM to PDA. Use:

  • enter **USBUI (**87284)

to change both USB and UART to PDA mode. I also had to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. Once Windows re-recognized the device again, “adb devices” started returning my device.

BTW if you use CDMA workshop or the equivalent, you will need to switch the setting back to MODEM.