I am working in Cordova and AndroidStudio to create Android/iOS apps. Everything was working fine until I updated my Cordova to 8 yesterday. I also updated Node to the latest. When I create a Cordova project and add the Android platform. It yields a totally different directory structure. I cannot see
src folders in project’s platform directory
D:\testApp1\platforms\android. More importantly, the above directory is missing
AndroidManifest.xml, which is causing the
admob plugin to fail in getting added.
Here is the error that I get while adding the plugin:
Failed to install ‘cordova-plugin-admobpro’: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘D:\Projects\testApp1\platforms\android\AndroidManifest.xml’
at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:646:18)
at Object.fs.readFileSync (fs.js:551:33)
at Object.parseElementtreeSync (D:\Projects\testApp1\platforms\android\cordova\node_modules\cordova-common\src\util\xml-helpers.js:180:27)
at new AndroidManifest (D:\Projects\testApp1\platforms\android\cordova\lib\AndroidManifest.js:29:20)
at AndroidProject.getPackageName (D:\Projects\testApp1\platforms\android\cordova\lib\AndroidProject.js:99:12)
at Api.addPlugin (D:\Projects\testApp1\platforms\android\cordova\Api.js:223:57)
at handleInstall (C:\Users\Rao\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\cordova-lib\src\plugman\install.js:594:10)
at _fulfilled (C:\Users\Rao\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\cordova-lib\node_modules\q\q.js:787:54)
at self.promiseDispatch.done (C:\Users\Rao\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\cordova\node_modules\cordova-lib\node_modules\q\q.js:816:30)
Can someone please help?
Cordova CLI v8.0 will use
[email protected] by default.
As most of the cordova plugins do not support
[email protected] yet, you can also try using the older one by specifying version:
cordova platform add [email protected]
cordova-android 7.1.4 is out, it should fix most of this kind of problems.
As people keep upvoting the answer I’ll give more details about the problem.
The problem isn’t really the plugin writing on the
AndroidManifest.xml or on the
config.xml. It’s true that the location changed and plugins should update the path, but it’s not mandatory and Cordova takes care of the new paths.
The problem is some plugins using
source-file tag for things that are not source code. (i.e, using it for copying images instead of using
That creates a res folder (or lib) that confuses Cordova, making it believe it’s an old Eclipse project, while it’s really an Android studio project, and searches for the files on the old locations instead of looking into the new locations.
This has been patched in cordova-android and will be fixed in next release.
The workaround is to look for the plugin using
source-file tag and update it to use
It is now in
If the plugin is writing on it, it should be updated to write on the right place.
Read the cordova-android 7.0.0 release blog post
config.xml file of the cordova project, under xml tag
<platform name="android"> section, Add the following tag:
<resource-file src="platforms/android/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml" target="AndroidManifest.xml" />
I simply fixed the error by copying AndroidManifest.xml
Downgrading from 7.0 to 6.4 did the trick for me
cordova platform rm android cordova platform add [email protected] cordova build
This worked for me.
In package.json add cordova-android version
Then add platform
cordova platform add android
- Firstly make sure the plugin supports cordova android 7.0.0+
- Delete all of these folder or file: [‘AndroidManifest.xml’, ‘libs’, ‘res’] in the platforms/android root directory.
Cordova use these files to determine if your project is an eclipse project. If they are existed, your project will be treated as an eclipse project with the old path structure. Some plugin may create these files/folders on your android folder.
The problem appears to be when you try to build for release at the same time you are running the App locally. I stop the App on localhost and then build for release. Problem solved.
My problem was a custom plugin creating the libs folder in platforms\android. That made Cordova believe that my project was an eclipse project and therefore it was looking for the AndroidManifest in the old place.
If you upgrande to Cordova Android +7.0.0 make sure that platforms\android doesn’t contain the following items:
this link helped