I get the following error in Eclipse:
[timestamp - ddms] Can't bind to local 8600 for debugger
In addition to adding “127.0.0.1 localhost” to your hosts file, make the following changes in Eclipse.
Under Window -> Preferences -> Android -> DDMS:
- Set Base local debugger port to “8601”
- Check the box that says “Use ADBHOST” and the value should be “127.0.0.1”
Thanks to Ben Clayton in the comments for leading me to a solution.
Some Google keywords: Ailment or solution for Nexus S Android debugging with the error message: Can’t bind to local 8600 for debugger.
Try killing port 8600 with this command:
fuser -k 8600/tcp
That fixed it for me.
Don’t uninstall, this is just a dumb thing done by the system which as trouble finding localhost it seems. Take a look in here, it’s quite easy to fix.
I had the same issue a few weeks ago and solved it this way.
the window Host file that is messed up:
the file is at this place :
And should contain this line :
I had the following hosts file
and i started getting the error continously and it was very annoying
“Can’t bind to local 8600 for debugger”
“Can’t bind to local 8601 for debugger”
“Can’t bind to local 8602 for debugger” and so on
I deleted the second line from the hosts file
and everything is back to normal.
Hope this helps.
I had a similar problem on OSX. It just so happens I had opened two instances of Eclipse so I could refer to some code in another workspace. Eventually I realized the two instances might be interfering with each other so I closed one. After that, I’m no longer seeing the “Can’t bind…” error.
For people running
Android Studio and
I know that answers are already saturated, but I’ll just add that it appears that this error surfaces after installing Android Studio and returning to Eclipse to build and run your project.
Make sure you close all other instances of ADB that may be running (including Android Studio). Once you’ve done this if you are still having troubles try killing all ADB server processes and restarting. If you haven’t setup a global variable, open terminal and navigate to the platform-tools folder of the Android SDK Eclipse is referencing, then run:
./adb kill-server ./adb start-server
In addition to adding 127.0.0.1 localhost to your hosts file, make the following changes in Eclipse.
Window -> Preferences -> Android -> DDMS
Set Base local debugger port to 8601
Check the box that says Use ADBHOST and the value should be 127.0.0.1
Thanks to Ben Clayton & Doguhan Uluca in the comments for leading me to a solution.
Some Google keywords:
Ailment or solution for Nexus S Android debugging with the error message: Can’t bind to local 8600 for debugger.
I’m running the Android ADT bundle on Windows 8. Both solutions described in this topic (editing the host file and changing the eclipse preferences) did not solve the problem.
In my situation the problem has been solved by a de-installation of Java 7 (now using Java 6). The debugger is now working again!
Running two instances of adb (eg eclipse debugger and android studio) at same time causes conflicts as this too
In my case the problem was that there was a ghost eclipse hanging on background; it was not using any workspace and had no windows, so it was only on process list that I found it. Killing it resolved the issue.
On Windows 8
I was batteling with this for some time:
do you have AVG installed?
uninstalling AVG did the trick for me
For me, this was due to the fact that I was trying to debug using eclipse yet also running Android Studio. Both programs were trying to monitor android devices on the similar ports. Either quit all IDEs other than one, or modify the port number used for debugging in the IDE preferences so they are not similar.
The only fix that really worked for me was uninstalling Java 7 and installing Java 6 on my Windows 8 x64 based machine.
You can download Java 6 from here.
Worked for me, based on this answer
In Eclipse go to
Then tick “Use ADBHOST” as “127.0.0.1”.
Then just restart eclipse
Try another cable and if that doesn’t work try another phone.
I wrestled with this and all the tips above for several days.
But the connector on my devices was flakey.
As a test move the phone and see if you get connections dropping.
Some of the tips such a ADB USB will fix it temporarily and explicitly (re) selecting the device process to debug. But for me the root cause was that the physical connection.
So now with the new device I have no problem ever!
A flakey cable would cause the same issue.
I feel your pain.
In my case, it just worked when I killed the Eclipse process, and restart the software.
Based on an Aptana Studio support response, it was confirmed that the Aptana plugin and Android Development Tools collide on this port (i.e. Aptana’s Comet server overlapped on this port). Aptana opened a ticket back in 2010.
Unfortunately, it does not appear that Aptana has fixed it yet or made their Comet server port configurable. Changing the port number in eclipse and restarting adb did NOT fix it for me. I finally was forced to uninstall the Aptana plugin.
After hours trying to fix it with java sdks, eclipse.ini file, and all material found on the question, what definetely worked for me :
UINSTALLED AVG ANTI-VIRUS
then all ports on DDMS get green, no matter java or Genymotion settings or what the…
Maybe it’s too late for an answer to this question but i think i have found a fix for it, what i noticed is
within the info.plist file > JVMoption (Mac) with in the application package there is two version of java i.e it was showing “1.6*,1.7+”
so i just changed it to “1.8*” which is my current java version and now its working for me
On my mac from a terminal:
$ ./adb kill-server $ ./adb start-server * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 * * daemon started successfully *
I opened the eclipse and set the ddms port to 5037. it works fine.