I have a MySQL table with utf8 general ci collation. In the table, I can see two entries:
I am using a query that looks like this:
SELECT * FROM `words` WHERE `word` = 'abád'
The query result gives both words:
Is there a way to indicate that I only want MySQL to find the accented word? I want the query to only return
I have also tried this query:
SELECT * FROM `words` WHERE BINARY `word` = 'abád'
It gives me no results. Thank you for the help.
If your searches on that field are always going to be accent-sensitive, then declare the collation of the field as utf8_bin (that’ll compare for equality the utf8-encoded bytes) or use a language specific collation that distinguish between the accented and un-accented characters.
col_name varchar(10) collate utf8_bin
If searches are normally accent-insensitive, but you want to make an exception for this search, try;
WHERE col_name = 'abád' collate utf8_bin
In my version (MySql 5.0), there is not available any utf8 charset collate for case insensitive, accent sensitive searches. The only accent sensitive collate for utf8 is utf8_bin. However it is also case sensitive.
My work around has been to use something like this:
SELECT * FROM `words` WHERE LOWER(column) = LOWER('aBád') COLLATE utf8_bin
The MySQL bug, for future reference, is http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=19567.
SELECT * FROM `words` WHERE column = 'abád' collate latin1_General_CS
(or your collation including cs)
You can try searching for the hex variable of the character, HEX() within mysql and use a similar function within your programming language and match these. This worked well for me when i was doing a listing where a person could select the first letter of a person.
Well, you just described what utf8_general_ci collation is all about (a, á, à, â, ä, å all equals to a in comparison).
There have also been changes in MySQL server 5.1 in regards to utf8_general_ci and utf8_unicode_ci so it’s server version dependent too. Better check the docs.
So, If it’s MySQL server 5.0 I’d go for utf8_unicode_ci instead of utf8_general_ci which is obviously wrong for your use-case.
I was getting the same error.
I’ve changed the collation of my table to utf8_bin (through phpMyAdmin) and the problem was solved.
Hope it helps! 🙂
Check to see if the database table collation type end with “_ci”, This stands for case insensitive…
Change it to collation the the same or nearest name without the “_ci” …
For example… change “utf8_general_ci” to “utf8_bin”