I need to connect to a SQL 2008 R2 Server from my Linux box that’s not registered in my company’s domain. I’m trying to use SQuirreL SQL version 3.2.1.
I downloaded Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 3.0 and assigned it to SQuirreL on the Drivers tab.
Now, when I try to create an Alias on SQuirreL, I select the SQL Server driver and adjust the URL. For credentials I use my domain registered username and password.
When I try to test the connection, I always get the same error:
<“database-name”>: Logon failure for user ‘<“domain”>\<“domain-user”>’.
How can I get this working? Thanks in advance!
I got rid of Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver and downloaded jTDS driver. I tweaked a bit with it until I finally got a successful connection. The correct connection string was:
The answer may be obsolete as I had the similar problem with SQuirrel SQL on MacOS 10.9.3 not on Linux box. The way Peter solved the problem inspired me. As the solution was not most straightforward I decided to put it here. Hope it helps someone.
- Download latest Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server (tar.gz package)
- Extract only sqljdbc4.jar from the package
- Copy the jar file into Squirrel SQL (Contents->Resources->Java->Lib)
- Now Microsoft MSSQL Server JDBC Driver is available to create Alias
- Connection URL: jdbc:sqlserver://SERVERNAME;databaseName=DATABASENAME
Another solution that worked for me. On a Windows desktop connecting to SQL Server 2008 R2, I had to follow these steps:
- copy the jtds-1.3.1.jar into the SQuirrel SQL \lib directory
- restart SQuirrel SQL and check that you see jTDS Microsoft SQL in the drivers list
- make sure that in the driver configuration the Class Name specifies net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
- use a connection string like this
I managed to connect to an SQL Server from SQuirrel on a linux box. Rough* steps …
- You only need one of the jdbc jars from the MS download (copied to ‘lib’)
- Must use SQL Server auth (not windows network auth)
- SQL Server auth was already enabled on our db
- Added a login ‘jdoe’
- Set jdoe default database to ‘XxxDb’
- Added a ‘User Mapping’ from jdoe to the desired database
- Set up permission on the SQL Server for jdoe: ‘Connect’ and ‘View any database’
- Connection string: jdbc:sqlserver://SERVERNAME:1433;databaseName=XxxDb
* May not need all as I poking around