The SO post below is comprehensive, but all three methods described fail to encode for periods.
For instance, if I run the three methods (i.e., escape, encodeURI, encodeURIComponent), none of them encode periods.
So “food.store” comes out as “food.store,” which breaks the URL. It breaks the URL because the Rails app cannot recognize the URL as valid and displays the 404 error page. Perhaps it’s a configuration mistake in the Rails routes file?
Periods shouldn’t break the url, but I don’t know how you are using the period, so I can’t really say. None of the functions I know of encode the ‘.’ for a url, meaning you will have to use your own function to encode the ‘.’ .
You could base64 encode the data, but I don’t believe there is a native way to do that in js. You could also replace all periods with their ASCII equivalent (%2E) on both the client and server side.
Basically, it’s not generally necessary to encode ‘.’, so if you need to do it, you’ll need to come up with your own solution. You may want to also do further testing to be sure the ‘.’ will actually break the url.
I know this is an old thread, but I didn’t see anywhere here any examples of URLs that were causing the original problem. I encountered a similar problem myself a couple of days ago with a Java application. In my case, the string with the period was at the end of the path element of the URL eg.
In this case, the Spring library I’m using was only passing me the ‘test’ part of that string to the relevant annotated method parameter of my controller class, presumably because it was treating the ‘.string’ as a file extension and stripping it away. Perhaps this is the same underlying issue with the original problem above?
Anyway, I was able to workaround this simply by adding a trailing slash to the URL. Just throwing this out there in case it is useful to anybody else.
Periods do not have to be encoded in URLs. Here is the RFC to look at.
If a period is “breaking” something, it may be that your server is making its own interpretation of the URL, which is a fine thing to do of course but it means that you have to come up with some encoding scheme of your own when your own metacharacters need escaping.
I had this same problem where my .htaccess was breaking input values with .
Since I did not want to change what the .htaccess was doing I used this to fix it:
var val="foo.bar"; var safevalue=encodeURIComponent(val).replace(/\./g, '%2E');
this does all the standard encoding then replaces . with there ascii equivalent %2E. PHP automatically converts back to . in the $_REQUEST value but the .htaccess doesn’t see it as a period so things are all good.
I had the same question and maybe my solution can help someone else in the future.
My solution was to replace all periods with the html entity as is Figure 1:
Figure 1: Solution
var urlPart = 'foo.bar'; var safeUrlPart = encodeURIComponent(urlPart.replace(/\./g, '.')); console.log(safeUrlPart); // foo%26%2346%3Bbar console.log(decodeURIComponent(safeUrlPart)); // foo.bar
If its possible using a .htaccess file would make it really cool and easy. Just add a \ before the period. Something like:
It is a rails problem, see Rails REST routing: dots in the resource item ID for an explanation (and Rails routing guide, Sec. 3.2)