I have a clean Eclipse Java SDK. I would like to make it suitable for developing PHP applications. So I need a PHP IDE plugin (or something like that). How could I install it from the Eclipse environment?
Easy as pie:
Open Eclipse and go to Help-> Software Updates-> Find and Install
Select “Search for new features to install” and click “Next”
Create a New Remote Site with the following details:
Get the latest above mentioned URLfrom –
Check the PDT box and click “Next” to start the installation
Hope it helps
To install PDT (PHP Development Tools) for PHP development environment is better in Eclipse. The following are the steps to install PDT in Eclipse (I’m considering version 3.7 (Indigo)):
- Open Eclipse (in my case Eclipse Indigo).
- Go to Help –> Install New Software…
- Expand the “Work with” drop down and select “Indigo – http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo“.
- Expand “Programming Languages” from the list.
- Check PHP Development Tools (PDT) SDK Feature.
- Click “Next >” at the bottom and follow the further instruction of Eclipse.
- After successful installation of PDT: Go to Window –> Preferences and see the list as PHP at left panel.
Open up eclipse, go to “Help -> Install New Software”. Enter:
entry from the “Work with” dropdown.
Under the “Web, XML, Java EE and OSGi Enterprise Developmet” category, select “PHP Development Tools (PDT) SDK Feature 18.104.22.168209101312”.
The new URL for the repository is now http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/release. In Eclipse: open Help -> install new sofware -> add. Then paste this URL in the location.
Mark the check boxes you want and click next.
Help –> Install New Software
In work with select box , only I have selected Kepler – http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler
And then under Programming language category you can find PHP Development tool.
fyi :I have ubuntu
The best solution would be to go to http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.pdt/downloads where you will find the URL to the most updated PDT, as most of the URLS listed above are hitting a 404. Then pasting the URL to eclipse.
Easiest Way To install PDT
- Run eclipse
- Click on “Help”, “Install New Software”
- “Choose all available sites”, in search box type “php”(takes a while to load)
- => “programming languages” => “PHP Development Tools”, => PhP Development Tools (PDT) SDK Feature.
- Restart eclipse
- File new => other => php .
- Should be able to follow from their
The URL which worked for me is http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/2.0/interim/.
See also Stack Overflow question Installing PDT in Eclipse – No runtime option .. only SDK.
Eclipse for PHP Developers Package
Looking for the Eclipse for PHP Developers Package?
Due to lack of a package maintainer for the Indigo release there will be no PHP (PDT) package. If you would like to install PDT into your Eclipse installtion you can do so by using the Install New Software feature from the Help Menu and installing the PHP Development Tools (PDT) SDK Feature from the Eclipse Indigo Repo >> http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo
Text grabbed from page:
Updated for 2019: As previously suggested, in the latest Eclipse, go to “Install New Software” in the Help Menu and click the “add” button with this URL http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/latest/ that should show the latest release of PHP Development Tools (PDT). You might need to search for “php” or “pdt”. For Nightly releases you can use http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/latest-nightly/.