I moved data from MySQL 4 (they were originally set to
latin2 encoding) to MySQL 5 and set encoding to
utf-8. It looks good in
utf-8 is okay. However there are question marks instead of some characters on website! The website encoding is also set to
utf8 so I dont understand where the problem is.
PHP and HTML files are also set to utf8.
I have no idea…
SET NAMES utf8
before any query in your application
On my server, adding these to my php file had no effect:
ini_set('default_charset','utf-8'); mysql_set_charset('utf8'); header('Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
But everything worked perfectly once I added this to the top of my php file:
$mysqli->query("SET NAMES 'utf8'");
Note: I am using encoding
utf8_general_ci in my database, but
utf8_unicode_ci works the same for me.
Hope that helps.
Try setting the MySQL connection to UTF-8:
SET NAMES 'utf8'
And send explicit UTF-8 headers, just in case your server has some other default settings:
header('Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
You don’t have to set your PHP and HTML files to utf-8.
You just have to set your output encoding to UTF-8 and the browser will display appropriately.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8');
When you get a string that is UTF-8 from the MySQL table, it will be UTF-8 all the way to browser output unless you convert the encoding. It’s the way that the browser inteprets it.
Put .htaccess file in your web-site root with content:
in your dbconfig set after connection to db:
mysql_query(“SET NAMES ‘utf8′”);
Here is a fix. Set the header to
header ('Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8'); Then print your content using
utf8_decode($content). You must have the two to make it work.
mysql_query("SET NAMES UTF8");
adding this line at the end of my “connection.php” solved my problem.
My connection file’s complete code is:
<?php # FileName="Connection_php_mysql.htm" # Type="MYSQL" # HTTP="true" $hostname_test = "localhost"; $database_test = "test"; $username_test = "username"; $password_test = "password"; $test = mysql_pconnect($hostname_test, $username_test, $password_test) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR); mysql_query("SET NAMES UTF8"); ?>
My database collation is “utf8_general_ci”.
Pages are “dreamweaver default utf8” and “unicode normalisation form=C (Canonical Decomposition)”.
When you show UTF8 characters on a website but tell the browser to interpret them as Latin1 (or Latin2) you see this kind of gibberish:
When you show Latin1 (or Latin2) characters on a website, but tell the browser to interpret them as UTF8, you see question marks.
So my guess is that you switched everything to UTF8 (I mean, you told the DB Engine, the web server and the browser you would be using UTF8), but you didn’t actually convert the strings to UTF8.
Do what @Darkerstar said. Convert your dump to UTF8 (Notepad++ can do that easily) and import it again.
It doesn’t seem like setting every SQL Database, Table, and Field to UTF-8 in MySQL and is good enough. Very annoying.
Ended up forcing the issue to solve encoding problems:
Had to use this Every place I open the database:
And that worked. Finally.
I had this problem recently (I hope its the same problem you are having), I tried many ways but at the end what worked was really simple.
Convert your dumped SQL file to UTF-8 format and then import it.
BW: I used Notepad++ for the conversion.