the following error appears:
/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/ is not a symbolic link
When I run file:
file /usr/local/lib/ /usr/local/lib/: directory
/usr/local/lib/ there are three libraries that I use. I’ll call them here as
Now, when I do an
ldd on my binary it results:
lib1.so => not found lib2.so => not found lib3.so => /usr/local/lib/lib3.so (0x00216000)
But all of then are in the same folder as
Every time I run
ldconfig, the same error appears:
/usr/local/lib/ is not a symbolic link
/usr/local/lib should be declared twice in
/etc/ld.conf.d/*.conf, but not:
sudo egrep '\/usr\/local' /etc/ld.so.conf.d/* projectA.conf.old:/usr/local/projectA/lib local.conf:/usr/local/lib
ld.so.conf only includes
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf, so this
*.old isn’t processed, and it refers to
After a time tring I deleted all lib1 and lib2 (at some point I tested it on binary’s folder), the same error occurs.
I ran into this issue with the Oracle 11R2 client. Not sure if the Oracle installer did this or someone did it here before i arrived. It was not 64-bit vs 32-bit, all was 64-bit.
The error was that
libexpat.so.1 was not a symbolic link.
It turned out that there were two identical files,
libexpat.so.1. Removing the offending file and making it a symlink to the 1.5.2 version caused the error to go away.
Makes sense that you’d want the well-known name to be a symlink to the current version. If you do this, it’s less likely that you’ll end up with a stale library.
Solved, at least at the point of the question.
I searched in the web before asking, an there were no conclusive solution, the reason why this error is: lib1.so and lib2.so are not OK, very probably where not compiled for a 64 PC, but for a 32 bits machine otherwise lib3.so is a 64 bits lib. At least that is my hipothesis.
VERY unfortunately ldconfig doesn’t give a clean error message informing that it could not load the library, it only pumps:
ldconfig: /folder_where_the_wicked_lib_is/ is not a symbolic link
I solved this when I removed the libs not found by ldd over the binary. Now it’s easier that I know where lies the problem.
My ld version:
GNU ld version 2.20.51, and I don’t know if a most recent version has a better message for its users.
You need to include the path of the libraries inside /etc/ld.so.conf, and rerun ldconfig to upate the list
Other possibility is to include in the env variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH the path to your library, and rerun the executable.
check the symbolic links if they point to a valid library …
You can add the path directly in /etc/ld.so.conf, without include…
ldconfig -p to see whether your library is well included in the cache.
I simply ran the command below:
Now it is working fine.