I am trying to develop some native Android apps using Android Studio (latest) on OS X Yosemite. Currently Android Studio is simply unusable: it is too slow. I am not referring to the Android emulator, which was doubling the development time, but to the source code editor itself.
The main problem is that very often but not always (I would say almost always) it is not able to keep the pace of my editing: when I edit text, characters appear on the screen between one and two seconds later. If I delete characters, I never know which one I reached without waiting for a couple of seconds. If I right-click I wait for the equivalent of geological ages before something is displayed. It is almost impossible to use the graphical layout editor because it is sloooow.
I have also other problems, related to incredible bugs. But I want to focus on this basic functionality.
After a bit of research I ended up increasing its heap space. So I went into:
and modified these values:
-Xms512m -Xmx6000m -XX:MaxPermSize=1000m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=500m -XX:+UseCompressedOops
Actually I have only increased the allocated memory for the first two of them.
Is there anyone developing for Android on a Mac who was able to increase this basic performance of Android Studio? Is there any hidden trick, combination of JVM and options able to make this app usable?
I am working on a MBP 2.3GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM: is it enough?
I did the following to resolve the Android Studio slowness.
Go to Android -> Preferences -> Build, Execution, Deployment -> Compiler
Check the Option –
Compile independent modules in parallel (may require larger heap size)
Set VM Options to :
Restart Android Studio.
Go to Android -> Preferences
Click on Build, Execution, Deployment
Click on -> Compiler
Check the Option – Compile independent
modules in parallel (may require larger heap size)
Check on Use in-process
build” and “Configuration on demand and click OK button
Restart Android Studio and that’s it.
It’s more than enough, there are some tricks to improve your Android Studio performance:
Activate gradle deamon: https://www.timroes.de/2013/09/12/speed-up-gradle/
Activate Compiler features: Settings -> Compiler, then activate “Compiler independent…”, “Use in-process build” and “Configuration on demand”.
With these two tricks you’ll feel the difference. Let me know.
Easy way shared by Jake Wharton
First, click on Android Studio -> Preferences -> Plugins
Now, disable or check off all the plugins which not usable for you.
- Android APK Support
- Android Games
- Android NDK
- App Links Assistant
- CVS Integeration
- Editor Config
- Fabric for Android Studio
- Firebase (App Indexing, Services, Testing)
- Google (Cloud Tools Core, Cloud Tools for Android, Developer Samples, Login, Services)
- Markdown Support
- Mercurial integration
- Settings repository
- Subversion integration
- Task management
- Test recorder
Now, click Apply -> OK
If you need any plugin later, enable it for a temporary time, do your work and then you can disable it again.
Yes, that is enough computer. I use Android Studio on both my Mid 2011 iMac and my MBP 2.5GHz i7. Android Studio and the emulator are pretty slow to load on the iMac, but I do not have the issues while typing that you describe on either machine.
What version of Android Studio are you using?
In my case, I saw that only Android Studio was laggy (problems while typing or using the mouse). The other apps were ok.
I had a look to “activity monitor” and saw in the “processor” and “memory” tabs that some apps regularly induced peaks on the processor graph or memory graph. You can also see that these apps move a lot in the listing (going up and down) during the peaks.
I noticed that the apps inducing peaks were:
- “Kies” app by Samsung : I removed it from the apps launched at startup and deleted this crap app
- “CrashPlan” (a backup app): I launched the app and logged into it (it was not logged in)
- I desactivated Apple speech recognition in my Mac settings (a process named “applespeechrecognition” or something like that)
My Mac is now much faster and have no more problems with Android Studio ! 🙂
Something I discovered was having Dictation turned on for the keyboard in System Preferences seems to cause a general loss of action (keyboard entry was dropping characters, clicks seemingly being dropped, window moves not working, etc.).
Disabling dictation cured all my general UI performance issues. This was done through Apple Menu | System Preferences | Keyboard | Dictation Tab | Off
This performance issue may be caused by a cloud backup utility like Google Backup & Sync, iCloud, DropBox, or OneDrive syncing the folder or files as you edit. Try disabling the Cloud Backup daemon or removing those files from sync.