Home » Php » php – Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding()

php – Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding()

Posted by: admin April 23, 2020 Leave a comment

Questions:

I receive this error after trying to set up LAMP by following this tutorial, and I find myself receiving the above error after trying to set up phpmyadmin.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in
C:\WebServer\Apache\htdocs\phpmyadmin\libraries\php-gettext\gettext.inc
on line 177

I followed the advice over here: PHP Fatal error when trying to access phpmyadmin mb_detect_encoding, and made those changes.

When I run phpinfo(), I see that support for MySQL and mb_string are enabled as shown below:

mb_string

MySQL

mysqli

How to&Answers:

Install the gd library also.

check this link
http://www.php.net/manual/en/mbstring.installation.php

Answer:

There’s a much easier way than recompiling PHP. Just yum install the required mbstring library:

Example: How to install PHP mbstring on CentOS 6.2

yum --enablerepo=remi install php-mbstring

Oh, and don’t forget to restart apache afterward.

Answer:

Mbstring is a non-default extension. This means it is not enabled by default. You must explicitly enable the module with the configure option.

In case your php version is 7.0:

sudo apt-get install php7.0-mbstring

sudo service apache2 restart

In case your php version is 5.6:

sudo apt-get install php5.6-mbstring

sudo service apache2 restart

Answer:

On Windows open the file php.ini and make this changes:

Remove the comment and point to the ext directory

; extension_dir = “./” -> extension_dir = “C:/Php/ext”

Remove the comment of this extensions

  • extension=php_mbstring.dll
  • extension=php_mysqli.dll

Restart apache service

httpd -k restart

Answer:

When I opened my php.ini file, “extension_dir” line looked like following :

extension_dir = "C:/wamp/bin/php/php5.4.16/ext/"

which i changed to:

extension_dir = "C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.4.16\ext\"

and it worked.

Answer:

Under Windows / WAMP there doesn’t seem to be any php_mbstring.dll dependencies on the GD2 extension, the MySQL extensions, nor on external dlls/libs:

deplister.exe ext\php_mbstring.dll

php5ts.dll,OK
MSVCR110.dll,OK
KERNEL32.dll,OK

deplister.exe ext\php_gd2.dll

php5ts.dll,OK
USER32.dll,OK
GDI32.dll,OK
KERNEL32.dll,OK
MSVCR110.dll,OK

Whatever php_mbstring already needs, it’s built-in (statically compiled right into the DLL).

Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding()

This error is also very specific and deterministic…

The function mb_detect_encoding() didn’t fail because php_gd, php_mysql, php_mysqli, or another extension was not loaded; it simply was NOT found.

I’m guessing that all the answers that are reported as valid (for Windows / WAMP), that say to load other extensions, to change php.ini extension_dir paths (if this one was wrong to begin with, NO extensions would load), etc, work more due to a) un-commenting the extension = php_mbstring.dll line, or b) restarting Apache or the computer (for changes to take effect).

On Windows, most of the time the problem is that php_mbstring.dll is either:

  • Blocked by Windows. Unblock it by right-clicking it, check Properties.

  • Or PHP can’t load php_mbstring.dll due to another version getting loaded (e.g., from some improper PHP DLLs install into C:\Windows\system32), some version mismatch, missing run-time DLLs, etc. Check Apache’s and PHP’s error log files first for clues.

More in-depth answer here: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding

Answer:

you should use only english version of phpmyadmin if you are using all languages you should enable all languages mbstring in php.in file…..just search for mbstring in php.in

Answer:

The problem could also be that Apache can’t find php.ini
If you set PHPIniDir incorrectly.
Mine was set to: PHPIniDir “c:/php7”
But, the folder is actually just “php”
The clue was viewing phpinfo()
Which showed:
Configuration File (php.ini) Path C:\windows

Answer:

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 17, Ispconfig was not processing the operations queued of any kind and also the server.sh command was not working.
I checked and the running PHP version after the OS upgrade was 7.1 so the solution was to type:

apt-get install php7.1-mbstring

and now is everything ok

Answer:

Hope this helps some ppl, I got this error when i added the path and extension to “docref_root” “docref_ext” in my php.ini file, I then commented it out and it was ok, but cant get my help to work now.

Answer:

For fedora:

yum install php-mbstring

Then restart apache